Monday, May 31, 2010

The Easiest BBQ Ever


So, yeah, I know it's Memorial Day weekend and everyone's supposed to grill their own meats and have lots to eat and drink. But, after talking about getting out the meat, marinating it, blah blah blah, there was a little change up last night at my weekly "hang out" with my buddy R. You see, I have been dying. OK, so not really "dying" but really really really wanted to go to Morton's for a long time. In case you're not familiar with Mortons, it's a prestigious (translation-expensive) and famous steak house.

The cool thing about Morton's is that they literally bring the cuts of meat to you. It was kind of funny and interesting that our server brought over a cart that was festooned with a tray of meat, fresh vegetables and fresh seafood. There was a story of each and every piece on that tray. Yeah, everyone who knows me knows that I read cookbooks like they're novels, but even I was getting a little bored after the 20 minute dissertation. Blame it on A.D.D. or hunger. Or both. BUT, I did learn something new last night. There's actually such a thing as a bone in filet mignon. I had no idea that this delicious cut of meat was ever served on the bone, but it may have had a little better flavor than the regular cut. But if you've ever filet mignon...properly prepared ...you know it melts like buttah on your tongue. So I ordered the bone in filet. And, as promised, it melted like buttah on my tongue. The outside was a perfect char with a tender, medium finish on the inside. I know I sound crazy talking about a piece of red meat in such reverent tones. But, if you had wrapped your lips around this bad boy, you would feel the same!

Our sides were broccoli (more about R's broccoli fetish another time) and mashed potatoes. Honestly, the potatoes could have been better. A little too smooth for my taste but then again, I've never met a potato I didn't like so I managed to "choke it" down. ha ha

Now let's talk about dessert. Our server, Kristin, described this amazing chocolate souffle that we'd have to order at the time that we ordered our entrees because it takes so long to make. So, of course, we ordered that. But, upon arrival, it looked like a giant (dare I say) breast! It was very funny. After the souffle was served, it looked more like mush on the plate. And nothing like what I was expecting. I guess that is what happens when we put expectations on something. You see, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the chocolate lava cake at seafood restaurant, Roy's. THAT particular dessert is enough to bring tears to my eyes and makes my mouth water just thinking about it. If you ever happen upon a Roy's seafood restaurant, go in for the Butterfish and the Chocolate Lava Cake. Just trust me on this one. Do not ask questions. Just order it.

So at the end of the meal, lots of laughs and very full tummies later we went and worked it off over a few rounds of pool. I stink at pool, let's just put it out there. But it is still fun and definitely a good thing to do when you're hanging out.

What does this posting mean? Well, I guess I can just say that sometimes the best way to use your kitchen is to not use it at all. Enjoy the company of your friends and loved ones because life is way too short. Laugh like crazy. Enjoy your food.Taste it. I mean, really savor it. Just like life. Just like love.

Until I'm back in the kitchen,
Suzie Q

No comments:

Post a Comment