Thursday, June 3, 2010

Spicin' it Up with Salsa Verde



Before I moved back to Santa Clarita from San Clemente, I spent a good deal of time with my friend Andrea, who had a nanny at the time. Mimi is an amazing cook and would often make homemade chicken taquitos and the most amazing salsa verde. Of course, it was my duty to make sure I scarfed down a ton of the salsa with the freshly made taquitos. Mimi was nice enough to share her own recipe with me and now I'm going to share it with you.

The heat profile will vary depending upon what time of year you're making this salsa because chiles are hotter at certain times of year. Don't ask me why, but during my years on the menu committee at both La Salsa and Baja Fresh this was proven true. Try this delicious salsa as a traditional dip with your favorite Mexican dishes or top some grilled chicken or white fish with the mixture. Experiment!


Mimi's Salsa Verde

1 lb. tomatillos
2 jalapenos, halved and seeded
1/2 bunch cilantro, stemmed
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup white onion, chopped
Juice of one lime
Salt to taste

Remove papery husks from tomatillos and rinse well. Place tomatillos in a saucepan, cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. While tomatillos and chiles are boiling, place 1/2 bunch of cilantro in your blender and blend until chunky. I like to remove or cut most of the stems. Remove tomatillos and chiles from the pan with a slotted spoon and put into blender with lime juice, onions, cilantro, garlic and salt and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed. Season to taste with salt. Cool in refrigerator.

If the salsa is a little too acidic for you, add a little sugar and mix it in.
Makes approx. 3 cups.

Give it a try. You'll be addicted!

Eat well!
Suzie Q

Photo courtesy: SimplyRecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment